Inspired by a visit to the Hummingbird Bakery, here are our easy, quick and FUNfetti Vanilla Sandwich Cookies.
- 150g salted butter, softened
- 230g golden caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (1 for the dough, 1 for the filling)
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 40g funfetti (half for the dough, half for decoration)
- 160g unsalted butter, softened
- 280g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp water
1. Cream the salted butter and golden caster sugar together. Add in the egg and 1 tsp vanilla and beat well.
2. Gently mix in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder until it's almost fully combined. Then add HALF the funfetti and mix until no flour remains visible.
3. Place the cookie dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour (... and for up to 3 days, so you can make this ahead!)
4. Preheat your oven to 175C.
5. Roll your chilled cookie dough until 25g - 28g balls. And place on a baking tray with at least 5 cm between each ball. (I need 4 trays to do this)
6. Bake in the oven for 10 mins, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray.
7. Whilst the cookies are cooling, make the buttercream by beating the unsalted butter with icing sugar for at least 2 mins. Then add the vanilla extract and water, and beat again until lightened in colour and smooth.
8. To assemble, pair up your cookies so that you have 2 per sandwich. Pipe a thick layer of icing on the back of one of the cookies in each pair, and then place the other on top, forming a vanilla buttercream sandwich.
9. Sprinkle the remaining funfetti around the edge of each cookie for a simple and fun decoration.
Chocolate Buttercream - Replace 30g icing sugar with 30g cocoa powder, for a chocolate buttercream filling.
Lemon Buttercream - Replace the water and vanilla extract with the zest and juice of half a lemon, for a zesty lemon buttercream.