An indulgent twist on the classic Almond Croissant. These are a MUST try!
- 8x (one day-old) Pain au Chocolat
For the syrup:
- 100g caster or granulated sugar
- 100g water
For the filling
- 115g unsalted butter
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50g ground hazelnuts
- 65g ground almonds
- 30g plain flour
- 2 tbsp praline paste
- Blanched almonds/hazelnuts
- Icing sugar
1. Make the sugar syrup: Add the sugar and water to a saucepan, bring to the boil so that all the sugar dissolves. Then leave to cool slightly.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 175°C.
3. Make the filling: cream the butter and sugar together. Then add all the other ingredients and beat well.
4. To assemble: Slice the stale pain au chocolate in half, then briefly dip the cut halves in the syrup from step 1. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling on to each base. Place the top back on and spoon 2 teaspoons of the filling on the very top. Stick a few almonds/hazelnuts on for decoration.
5. Bake for 30 mins on the middle shelf. Once cooked, leave on the tray to cool and dust with icing sugar before serving!.
Classic Almond Croissant - Leave out the praline paste, and substitute the ground hazelnuts for more ground almonds for a classic the Almond Croissant.